“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” -Dr. Seuss

Friday, June 1, 2012

A Tour of Lima: Local Style


May 26, 2012

We weren’t out late on Friday, but we definitely stayed up late talking instead! So of course, we didn’t go to bed until after 1, but I didn’t mind. I had fun talking with my roomies!
  
So I slept in late on Saturday. I didn’t get up until 10:45, which was WAY past breakfast of course, and we had to while away the time until lunch was served. I was starving! But I spent the time figuring out things with Shirley, Ceci, and Andres, who were going to pick me up at 2.

At first, all we knew was that they would meet us at the entrance to the port at 2, but when we walked out there, we didn’t see anyone, and I didn’t have any way of contacting my friends, so we were a little freaked out. People from the port kept warning us not to go out alone, we needed to find someone to watch out for us, etc. etc. and we were getting a little nervous. We decided to go back to the ship and get Shirley’s phone number and then find someone’s local cell phone to borrow. Luckily, one of the taxi guys had a phone and let us use it, or we would have been totally lost!

Also, we attracted a lot of stares, whistles, and catcalls, which none of us are used to. It was definitely strange.

Finally, it all worked out, and I found my friends at the gate. They don’t know it, but I almost cried when I saw them (lucky me, I didn’t). I pretty much bowled them over in excitement (can you picture it?). I haven’t seen Shirley or Ceci in four years, and I missed them so much! And Andres too, seeing as I missed my last chance to see him when he was last in Seattle.

I introduced my roommates (Jacqui and Julie) and then we took a cab to downtown Lima to find a place to eat lunch. We were starving! The cab was a lot cheaper than the ones provided to us by the program, too, and it took us to La Plaza de las Armas—a big square with the president’s house, a huge Catholic cathedral, and a statue in the middle (not sure of what).




We ate at a restaurant called Tanta, which was an upper-middle class restaurant with excellent food basically for the price of Applebees. I wasn’t expecting that either. When I set aside money for dinner I estimated that I would need a lot more than I actually spent.



Lima is known for its excellent ceviche—apparently it’s supposed to be the best in the world. Ceci had told me weeks ago that I needed to try it but I said I wouldn’t eat raw fish. I don’t even like fake sushi! Of course, I tried it anyway.


It was delicious! Everyone made fun of my skepticism, especially since I probably ate the most of it!

After we ate, we decided to go to the water park—which is actually a park with lots of cool lit-up water fountains. It took two hours to walk through Lima, but none of us minded. Turns out Andres knew a lot about the history of Lima, and basically acted as our tour guide.

I can’t even say how awesome it was to see them again. We talked about what we’d been up to for the past four years, mutual friends, and plans for the future. One afternoon wasn’t long enough though, and someday I will go back!



Shirley and Andres left us at the water park. I cried for sure this time. I missed them already (and still do)!

Ceci took us through the water park and we had lots of fun running through fountains and taking pictures, but then she had to leave too. Cried again and promised I’d be back! I just don’t know when.








No comments:

Post a Comment