“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” -Dr. Seuss

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Reason #5: Those Giant Marshmallow Thingies

Everyone knows what I'm talking about, whether they're from a farming town or not. When you're driving through expansive fields and suddenly you see what appear to be poops from the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters, those are the giant marshmallow thingies I'm talking about.

Giant Marshmallows in a field!!!
Of course, that's not what they actually are. I only believed that when I was little. The beauty of living where I do is that I get to watch the process. This is what they look like under that fluffy spun-sugar (aka plastic) exterior:


Don't look quite as tasty now, do they?

To farm animals, I'm sure it looks delightful! According to this website, storing hay in marshmallow form allows it to keep its nutritional value for longer periods of time. If farmers were to leave these lovely rolls as-is, the hay, exposed to the elements (around her, namely rain, but wind too), not only is stripped of its nutrients, it also can result in too much bacteria, fungus, or mold. It is especially important in Washington, where the weather is so unpredictable, to cover hay you plan to leave outdoors.

And it's a good thing I don't really like marshmallows, or I might start craving them every time I see the giant ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment